Chemistry industry claims 87% emissions reductions
OTTAWA: Chemistry Industry Association of Canada members have reduced their emissions by 87% since 1992, according to a new report released by the Ottawa-based association representing 50 chemical companies.
Reducing Emissions 17 tracks the environmental performance of members’ chemical manufacturing operations and their adherence to the association’s Responsible Care ethical standards that spell out the industry’s commitment to sustainability.
• 99.5% reduction of emissions to water since 1992.
• 94% reduction of releases of known and probable carcinogens.
• 98% elimination of emissions from 14 high-priority substances targeted by Canada’s Chemicals Management Plan.
• 38% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions since 2000, despite increased production.
• 66% decrease of ozone-depleting discharges by since 2000.
Click here to download the report.