Suncor proceeds with biggest wind farm yet

September 23, 2010   by PLANT STAFF

Suncor’s Magrath Wind Power Project in southern Alberta. The project is supposed to displace the equivalent of approximately 200,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.

Photo: Suncor Energy

CALGARY: Suncor Energy is partnering with Teck Resources Ltd. to construct an 88-megawatt wind farm near Drumheller, Alberta and expand its renewable energy capacity.

The companies have signed a joint venture agreement to develop the Wintering Hills Wind Power Project, with Suncor as the operating partner owning a 70% interest and Teck, a diversified mining, mineral processing and metallurgical company based in Vancouver, holding the other 30 per cent.

Wintering Hills received regulatory approval from the Alberta Utilities Commission on June 7. Suncor told PLANT the estimated cost of the entire project is about $200 million.

Suncor’s biggest wind farm project to date will consist of 55 General Electric 1.6 megawatt turbines located on privately owned land approximately 21 kilometres south east of Drumheller.

“Wind energy is a rapidly growing business around the world and one of the key opportunities that Alberta has to clean up its electricity system,” said Marlo Raynolds, executive director of the Pembina Institute. “Alberta needs continued investments in good wind projects if it wants to become a serious player in clean energy.”

Construction on the project began in July and is to be complete by the end of 2011.

At peak operation, Suncor said Wintering Hills will generate enough clean electricity to power approximately 35,000 Alberta homes, displacing the equivalent of approximately 200,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.

Print this page

Related Stories