PLANT

CO leak forces evacuation of Saskatoon food manufacturing plant

Propane fuelled forklift was the origin of the carbon monoxide that sent two to hospital.

May 4, 2017   by CP STAFF

SASKATOON — Two people were taken to hospital and 26 others were treated on scene after a carbon monoxide leak at a Saskatoon food manufacturing and labelling plant.

A Hazmat team and firefighters responded to a report of employees at Speciality Distributing feeling ill on in the afternoon on May 3.

The building was quickly evacuated.

MD Ambulance officials said two women, ages 43 and 46, were taken to hospital after their carbon monoxide exposure levels wouldn’t lower with oxygen.

Advertisment

The Saskatoon Fire Department said carbon monoxide levels in the building were recorded at 65 parts per million, well above the maximum recommended level of nine parts per million.

It was determined a propane fuelled forklift was the origin of the carbon monoxide.


Print this page

Related Stories