Subscribe
PLANT

Drilling company PHX Energy Services cuts half of workforce

Most of the 500 job cuts are central to Alberta.


September 14, 2015
by The Canadian Press

CALGARY — Drilling company PHX Energy Services Corp. has laid off nearly 50% of its workforce, putting more than 500 people out of work.

The company, which provides drilling technology and services to oil and gas companies in Canada, the US, Albania and Russia, says most of the job cuts affected people living in Alberta.

PHX said in a statement that the layoffs were necessary due to “current market challenges and uncertainty with respect to future oil commodity prices and drilling activity.”

The job cuts came despite company-wide salary reductions earlier this year of between five and 20%.

The cuts follow an Alberta government report that more than 12,700 people have lost their jobs in the province in group layoffs as of Sept. 4.

And it says more than 75% of them have been in the energy sector, while the remaining 25% were related to the retail, food and financial services sectors.

In Alberta, employers are required to provide notice to the province when 50 staff or more are let go. As of Sept. 4, the government had received a total of 84 group layoff notices, Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour spokeswoman Erin Gregg said in an email.

© 2015 The Canadian Press

Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*